Keys Lost or Stolen?
If your keys have been stolen, you need to act fast to protect yourself, your family, and your home. Here’s what to do if your keys are misplaced, stolen, or just plain missing.
1. First, you should report the keys lost or stolen to your local police station. Be sure to include any identifying details about the keys, maybe you had a special keychain or distinctive key? Try to give details if you know where you were when they keys went missing. If you were in public, there may be even video footage to help authorities track down the thief.
2. If you are locked out “A” Locksmith’s 24/7 Rapid Response Team is standing by to help with your lockout. We can be on-scene quickly to open your doors at any time day or night, holidays or weekends. One of our background checked locksmiths will arrive in uniform in an “A” Locksmith vehicle for your peace of mind.
3. Next, think about what keys were on your key-chain. Maybe you had your office keys, safe deposit keys, keys to a neighbors house, a padlock, or keys to your garage or shed?
4. If your keys were stolen or mysteriously disappeared, we strongly recommend you have your locks rekeyed for your safety. We recommend re-keying locks to your home, office, mailbox or any other keys that were on your key ring. This is a relatively inexpensive service that could make the difference between you being a victim of a crime or a thief’s last botched attempt. If you decide to rekey your locks, we are available 24/7, even on holidays, and weekends to ensure your continued safety. If you simply misplaced your keys, but you are reasonably sure they are secure, you will not need to rekey your locks. We can simply come to your house, use non-destructive entry techniques to get you back in your home, and make you a new key that fits your existing locks. This whole process usually takes less than 30 minutes and we are here for your 24 hrs a day.
5. You may have had keys to a friend’s or neighbor’s house, your work, or your community’s amenities on your key chain. It is important to notify anyone whose keys were also on your key ring that their keys were taken as well. That way they can make a decision to take (or not take) steps to protect their own property. At least give them the information so they are not unnecessarily at risk.
6. This is also a good time to reevaluate your security products. “A” Locksmith can help recommend the best products to increase your security. We even can install keyless entry systems so this doesn’t happen again!
Stay safe folks, and if you enjoyed this post please share it with your friends!